Land Pollution is caused due to various human activities and also because of natural factors. Some of the reasons of land pollution include over usage of pesticides, lack of options to dispose industrial and agricultural waste, deforestation, growing urbanization, acid rains and mining.
All these factors degrade the soil and hamper the agricultural activities. They are also a cause of various illnesses in animals and human beings.
Ways to Curb Land Pollution
Land pollution is on an all time rise and so are its harmful consequences. While the government and other organizations are working at their level to bring it down, you can also contribute towards lowering the same by making a few small changes in your daily life. Here are some of the ways in which you can curb land pollution:
- Make use of biodegradable products instead of non-biodegradable products wherever possible. This is because it is easier to dispose of biodegradable waste.
- Have food that is grown without the use of pesticides. Such food products are marked pesticide or fertilizer free so you can easily distinguish these from the others. This will encourage farmers to avoid the usage of pesticides.
- If you have space it is a good idea to grow organic vegetables and fruits at home.
- A lot of paper, ribbons and other materials are wasted on packaging these days. It is suggested to go for products that have little packaging.
- Avoid the usage of poly bags. The government has banned the use of these bags in many states however people still use these. Poly bags are hard to dispose off and contribute to a lot of land pollution.
- It is also suggested not to use plastic utensils and other plastic items. This is because plastic in any form is difficult to dispose of.
- Use paper or cloth bags when you go for shopping. It is advised to do so as these are reusable. Cloth bags have an edge over the paper ones as these can be washed and reused numerous times.
- Segregate trash by disposing of the wet and dry waste separately in two different dustbins. The Indian government has already started this campaign and distributed green and blue dustbins for the segregation of the waste products. A number of green and blue dustbins have also been planted in various areas in different cities across the country.
- Do not waste paper; limit its usage. Avoid using it wherever possible. Numerous trees are cut each year to generate paper. Cutting of trees is also a cause of land pollution. It is a good idea to go digital.
- Use cloth or reusable dusters and brooms instead of paper wipes or tissues.
Don’t just practice all these yourself but also spread awareness about these ideas by sharing them with your friends and relatives.
Land pollution, just as various other forms of pollution, is a threat to the environment. It is degrading the quality of life on earth. It is time we must all join hands and contribute our bit towards reducing the same.