Science is basically divided into three broad branches. These include Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Formal Sciences. These branches are further classified into sub-categories to study various aspects. Here is a detailed look at these categories and sub categories.
Branches of Science
- Natural Sciences
As the name suggests, this is the study of the natural phenomena. It studies how the world and universe works. Natural Science is further categorized into Physical Science and Life Science.
- a) Physical Science
Physical science includes the following sub categories:
- Physics: The study of properties of energy and matter.
- Chemistry: The study of substances of which matter is made.
- Astronomy: The study of the space and celestial bodies.
- Ecology: The study of relation of organisms with their physical surroundings as well as with each other.
- Geology: It deals with Earth’s physical structure and substance.
- Earth Science: The study of Earth’s physical constitution and its atmosphere.
- Oceanography: The study of biological and physical elements and phenomena of the sea.
- Meteorology: It deals with the processes of the atmosphere
- b) Life Science
The following sub categories form a part of the life science:
- Biology: The study of living organisms.
- Botany: The study of plant life.
- Zoology: The study of animal life.
- Social Sciences
This involves the study of the social pattern and human behaviour. It is further divided into various sub-categories. These include:
- History: The study of events occurred in the past
- Political Science: Study of systems of government and political activities.
- Geography: Study of Earth’s physical features and atmosphere.
- Social Studies: Study of human society.
- Sociology: Study of development and functioning of the society.
- Psychology: Study of human behaviour.
- Anthropology: Study of different aspects of humans within present and past societies.
- Economics: Study of production, consumption and circulation of wealth.
- Formal Sciences
It is that branch of science that studies formal systems such as mathematics and logic. It involves the following sub-categories:
- Mathematics: The study of numbers.
- Logic: The study of reasoning.
- Statistics: It deals with the analysis of numerical data.
- Decision Theory: Mathematical study to enhance decision making ability when it comes to profit and loss.
- Systems Theory: The study of abstract organization.
- Computer Science: The study of experimentation and engineering to form basis for designing and use of computers.
The experts in various branches of science have continually been studying the subject deeply and experimenting with different aspects to come up with newer theories, inventions and discoveries. These discoveries and inventions have made life easier for us; however, at the same time these have also made an irreversible damage to the environment as well as the living beings.