This is the age of smart phones and micro blogging. Everything that we need to know is just a click away. Social media is the most widely used tool by all age groups today, but is more popular among the youth and students. Keeping this in mind researchers feel that social media can play a very important part in the field of education.
It can be used to reach out to many students and can be highly effective as well. There is a large majority of academic thinkers that feel social media is a deteriorating agent for students but if used wisely it can be highly effective. Instead of getting in the argument of social media being good or bad, we must find ways to use it for our benefit. The question still remains that how can social media be used for our advantage in education, let’s try and answer this.
Importance of Social Media in Education
Today platforms like Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn etc. are most widely used by( both) teachers, professors and students and they have become quite popular among them. For a student social media plays a very important role as it makes it easier for them to access and share information, get answers and connect with teachers. It is through the platforms of social media that students and teachers can connect with each other and share content thereby making a good use of these platforms.
Social Media Importance are following-
- Live Lectures: Many professors these days are conducting live video chats on skype, twitter and other places for their lectures. This makes it easy for students as well as teacher to learn and share while just sitting in their homes. How easy and convenient education can be through the help of social media.
- Increased support: Since we have the use of social media at our disposal at any hour of the day, teachers can provide off hours support and solve queries of students even after class timings. This practice also helps the teacher to understand development of their students more closely.
- Easy work: Many educators feel that the use of social media makes the work easier for both them and students. It also helps the teacher to expand and explore their own possibilities//skills// and knowledge.
- More disciplined: The classes conducted on social media platforms are more disciplined and structured as we know that everyone is watching.
- Teaching aids: Social media can help the students to nourish their knowledge with a lot of teaching aids available online. Students can watch videos, see images, check out reviews and instantly clear their doubt while watching the live processes happening. Not only students, even teacher can make their lectures more interesting by using these tools and teaching aids.
- Teaching Blogs and write ups: Students can enhance their knowledge by reading blogs, articles and write ups by renowned teachers, professors and thinkers. This way good content can reach wide audience.
Conclusion: It cannot be denied that if used wisely social media can make education much better and create smart students.